They say behind every successful man is a great woman and the hero of India's World Cup win against South Africa – Shikhar Dhawan – is a living example of that. For moustache swirling cricketer Shikhar Dhawan it wasn’t love at first sight but love on Facebook when Ayesha, now his wife, accepted his friend request. Shikhar is grateful to his senior cricket colleague Harbhajan Singh who was friends on Facebook with both Ayesha Mukherjee and Shikhar Dhawan. Harbhajan introduced both of them.
So stunning was Ayesha that Shikhar had to take just one glance at Ayesha’s photo and he fell for her. He could not resist sending her a friend request. So this was the beginning of their friendship that was destined to blossom into a love affair and eventually culminated into marriage. Ayesha loves sports and is an amateur boxer. Her mother is British and her father is a Bengali, which is why she speaks fluent Bengali. During their courtship, whenever possible, Ayesha would attend Shikhar Dhawan’s Ranji trophy and IPL matches. In fact, both Shikhar's and Ayesha's families enjoy cricket.
This is Ayesha’s second marriage and she has two daughters from her first marriage. Also she is 12 years older. No wonder Shikhar had a tough time convincing her parents as they were concerned about the age difference between the two and also Ayesha Mukherjee’s two children (Rhea, Aliyah). Another interesting fact about the lovebirds is that Shikhar and Ayesha got engaged way back in 2009, but Shikhar postponed the wedding by three years as he wanted to cement his place in the Indian team before taking the plunge. Shikhar finally took the plunge and married Ayesha Mukherjee on October 30, 2012.
Shikhar Dhawan’s wife and 2 step-daughters have been lucky for him. At the age of 27 he made his Indian cricket test debut in 2013.
Shikhar created the record of the fastest Test century by a player on debut (100 in 85 balls). By scoring 187, Shikhar broke Gundappa Viswanath’s Indian test record for the highest score by a debutante. What strengthened Shikhar Dhawan and Ayesha Mukherjee’s relationship is that even though Ayesha is an Australian, Shikhar Dhavan believes she is more Indian than he is. Ayesha is a very religious person. Ayesha Mukerji is speaks Bengali fluently and she is a good cook.
Ayesha Mukherjee has become a sensation of sorts, courtesy her beauty and the control she exercises on the 27-year-old sportsperson.
Let's take a look at 7 interesting facts about Shikhar Dhawan's marriage.
1. Shikhar Dhawan's love story didn't begin with a chance encounter with his eventual soulmate, but the two lovebirds first started getting to know each other on social networking website Facebook. Match made on FB, eh?
2. Moustache swirling cricketer Shikhar Dhawan is grateful to his senior cricket colleague Harbhajan Singh, who is said to have donned the match-maker's role and introduced Shikhar and Ayesha on facebook.
3. Ayesha is said to have a huge interest in sports, and is also an amateur boxer. Her mother is British, and her father is Bengali, which is why Ayesha can speak very fluent Bengali.
4. This is not the first time Ayesha has tied the knot. The Bengali beauty has two daughters from her first marriage – Rhea and Aliyah. Moreover, Shikhar's better half is 12 years older than him and the Indian opener had a tough time convincing her parents as they had reservations about the age difference between the two.
5. Did you know that Shikhar and Ayesha got engaged way back in 2009? But Shikhar postponed the wedding as he wanted to focus on cricket and first cement his place in the Indian team before taking the plunge.
6. Ayesha became a rage on the internet after their marriage in 2012 and the social network has been speaking in glorious terms about her beauty, and about a tattoo that apparently runs all the down her back!
7. What strengthened Shikhar Dhawan and Ayesha Mukherjee’s relationship is that even though Ayesha hails from Australia, and still has to shuttle between Australia and India, Shikhar believes she is more Indian than he is! Ayesha is a very religious person at heart, can speak Bengali very fluently and can cook yummy Indian dishes! Quite the ideal bride, eh?
What do you think About This Love Story ? We want to hear from you ! Share your comments below.