We usually joke that “There are no ugly women – there is not enough vodka"
Here are 10 Facts you (probably) never knew about vodka:
1. Since vodka is distilled from water ethanol and fermented potatoes or grains, it contains very little fusel oils–much less than other alcoholic beverages. This coupled with the fact that it is carbon filtered, makes it one of the purest drinks in the world!
2. A litre of vodka weighs only 953 g and not 1 kg as one might imagine!
3. As opposed to popular belief, vodka does go bad if stored for longer periods of time. Ideally, vodka has to be consumed within 12 months of the manufacturing date!
4. Up until 1885, vodka was only sold in 12.3 litre buckets–and even still, it was a very popular drink. Thankfully, smaller bottles were introduced so that we don't spend the early part of our work week coping with a massive hangover!
5. While traditional vodka has exactly 38 percent alcohol, the European Union recognizes any such drink with more than 37.5 percent alcohol content as vodka. On the other hand, all vodka sold in the United States has to have 40 percent or more alcohol content.
6. Due to the high production and consumption of vodka in America, countries like Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, all Nordic and Baltic countries, Poland and areas of Slovakia and Hungary, these regions constitute the Vodka Belt!
7. Apart from getting you drunk, vodka can also be used for other purposes. For example, soaking your razor blade in vodka after a shave disinfects it and prevents rusting! Vodka can also be used for cleaning glasses and bathrooms because the alcohol tends to kill, mould and mildew! Of course, this is assuming you have enough money to switch from Harpic to vodka!
8. While there are varied accounts of where vodka originated–either in Russia or Poland–the first variations of Russian vodka were meant for medicinal purposes. It is also reported that Polish vodka was scented and used as aftershave!
9. According to some historic accounts, vodka was used to make gunpowder in Sweden in the 15th century!
10. While clear vodka is very popular, its flavored versions are also widely available. Some of the best vodka flavors are red pepper, ginger, varying fruit flavors, vanilla, chocolate (unsweetened), and cinnamon.
Main Image Source
[divider scroll_text=”Back To Top”]