Today it is difficult to meet a person who is not attracted to the exciting and captivating world of cinema. The love of watching movies can be successfully used to teach and improve English. It often happens that after a movie show there is a desire to express your emotions from watching, to share with someone your impressions of the action seen on the screen. A movie can be delightful or frustrating, addictive or hopelessly boring. You can express your overwhelming emotions with the help of a written review of the motion picture.
In the practice of studying foreign languages, written works in various genres are often used, which are necessary for the effectiveness of mastering the skill of creating literate meaningful texts. One such assignment might be writing a review or review of a recently watched movie. A review is a so-called review, your assessment of what you saw or read, which you express on paper. If it is very difficult for you to do it yourself, but you need to pass the review to the teacher, you can always turn to special services. Just select your author and write «Hi, can you write my paper?». But suddenly you want to become an essay author, this article will help you gain new knowledge and more experience in the writing profession.
Tips for Writing Good Movie Review
To competently write a good review about a film, you must first have a clear structure for your text. Try to stick to a certain writing plan, use special vocabulary on the topic, then your review will be more colorful, emotional, and impressive. What a movie review should look like:
1. Introduction. In the first part of the review, it is necessary to provide basic information about the film: what is it called, who is the director, which actors play the main roles, where and when the picture was filmed, etc. First, it is important to present the facts, and then go to your opinion about the film.
2. The main part. In the main part of your review, you must briefly convey the content of the film, its plot. Tell us about the main events taking place in it, but do not go into too much detail. What the film is about must be described in the present, not the past. Then go to your impressions after viewing. If you liked the film, tell us why, how you remember the plot and what was the most interesting in your opinion. All the most interesting is in the main part, here you can give free rein to your imagination. Adding romantic movie quotes can be a value addition while talking about creative movie poster maybe but only is very specific scenarios. In this part, they indicate which actors are starring and what characters they play, and it would be good to combine this with the events of the film. However, do not get carried away and retell the entire plot: do not forget that your review can be read by a person who has not seen the film or read the book.
In brief, the main review part should include:
- Summary of the story
- Analysis of the plot elements (rising action, climax)
- Creative elements (dialogues, characters, use of colors, camera techniques, mood, tone, symbols, costumes or anything that contributes or takes away from the overall plot)
- Opinion (supported with examples and facts from the story) etc.
3. Conclusion. At the end of the work, briefly and summarize your findings. The final part contains the main concluding thought that will show the reader of your review exactly what you wanted to say. If you recommend a movie for viewing, write about it. And in conclusion, every self-respecting connoisseur of literature and cinema writes whether this film/book is worth watching/reading, and also sums up why he thinks so.
It should be understood that any review, as opposed to a review, is a subjective assessment of the author. You can try to be an impartial critic, but this is almost impossible. Any viewer has his point of view. Therefore, in the review, it is important to convey to the reader all the pros and cons, expressing your personal opinion, because such a text guides the viewer when making a choice.
One should not ignore the following critical pointers while writing a movie review:
- Watch the film at least once, preferably twice to under the context in best possible way.
- Express your opinions and support your criticism.
- Consider your audience.
- Know the Actors’ portfolios.
- Call out directors, cinematographers, special effects.
- No spoilers!
- Study the professionals.
- Reread, rewrite and edit.
To make your text look beautiful and correctly written, it is advisable to use thematic words and phrases that allow you to most vividly convey your emotions and feelings. Try not to often repeat the same word in a paragraph. You can always use synonyms for this. Show your imagination and describe your impressions of watching the film in colors.
If the review is published on the Internet, then you can pick up illustrative material for it: movie posters, photographs of actors, trailers, or clippings from interviews with a director or screenwriter – these inserts will decorate the article. Plus, a lot of typed text can be tedious, and with videos, there’s a much higher chance that the review will be read to the end.
On the one hand, in comparison with others, this format is within the strict framework of its subject matter. However, the restriction in content does not negate the freedom to choose the form. But on the other hand, within one topic, film reviews can be very much modified.
Mistakes to Avoid in Movie Review Writing
- Not focusing on the film
- Personal bias – Inserting yourself
- Failing to check facts about movie background and release date, director, casting etc.
- Writing generalities such as great acting, cool effects, a good movie, it was bad etc.
- Writing a review without substance or analysis of the feature
- Giving out your opinion without mentioning any reason why you think that way
- Writing a review without a structure
- Talking about irrelevancies
People also read