India’s sporting scene is a male-dominated phenomenon with cricket being the nation’s favorite sport. But our women have outshone men and in doing so, broken the gender stereotype that women superiority is restricted only to examination results. It’s a little difficult to choose just a few sportswomen who have contributed enormously to Indian sports in the last decade. Not only have they brought laurels to the nation but have also encouraged girls to take up sports. Let’s take a look at a few women who have made our country proud on the international stage with their sporting performance.
1. Tania Sachdev: The ultimate combination of brain with beauty
2. Anjali Bhagwat: The world’s best air rifle shooter during her prime
3. Mary Kom: The sole sportswoman to be conferred a Padma Bhushan
4. Sania Mirza: The true Queen of Indian tennis
5. Heena Sidhu: The first Indian shooter to appear on the ISSF magazine’s cover page
6. Saina Nehwal: The perfect role model for Indian ladies
7. Mithali Raj: The first and only Indian cricketer to complete 5000 runs in One-day Internationals
8. Sharmila Nicollet: The teen golfing sensation
9. Dipika Pallikal: India’s top-ranked squash player
10. Geeta Phogat: The female grappler who rules the wrestling arena
11. Arunima Sinha: The athlete who conquered Mt. Everest after losing her leg
12. Deepika Kumari: The young, talented and amazing ace archer
13. P.V. Sindhu: The first woman to win a medal in World Badminton Championships
14. Anju Bobby George: The first Indian to win Gold in a major athletics world event
What do you think About this Article?
We want to hear from you ! Share your comments below.
[divider scroll_text=”Back To Top”]