Paris is the home of important museums and cultural institutions, including the most visited art museum in the world, the Louvre, as well as the Musée d’Orsay, noted for its collection of French Impressionist art, and the Musée National d’Art Moderne in the Pompidou Centre, the largest collection of modern and contemporary art in Europe.
The Central area of Paris along the Seine River is classified as a UNESCO Heritage Site, and includes many notable monuments, including Notre Dame Cathedral (12th century); the Sainte-Chapelle (13th century); the Eiffel Tower (1889); the Grand and Petit Palais (1900); and the Basilica of Sacré-Cœur on Montmartre (1914). In 2015 Paris received 22.2 million visitors, making it one of the world’s top tourist destinations.Paris is also known for its fashion, particularly the twice-yearly Paris Fashion Week, and for its haute cuisine, and three-star restaurants.
Most of France’s major universities and grandes écoles are located in Paris, as are France’s major newspapers, including Le Monde, Le Figaro, and Libération.
1. Legendary bartender Frank Meier holds court with his staff in 1930
2. Ladies meet for tea in the hotel garden in 1930
3. Notre-Dame – This medieval cathedral is one of the city’s most famous attractions. Built in 1163, it’s considered one of the finest examples of French Gothic architecture in the world_c1850’s
4. Cafe Society_c.1960
5. Alexandre Gustave Eiffel, the engineer whose company designed and built the tower, is pictured with four other people at the summit of the Eiffel Tower during the Paris World Fair in 1889
6. Invalid soldier stands beside a cannon in Paris, 1923
7.Eiffel Tower Paris c.1920
9. Behind the scenes at the House of Worth_c1907
10. The New Louvre – In 1527, Francis I ordered the demolishment of the old structure, in order to make room for a new Renaissance-style compound. _c1850’s
11. Les Halles, Paris _c.1950
12. Statue of Liberty is Ready for export_1885
13. The Poetic vision of transsexuals in Paris in the 60’s
14. The Eiffel Tower, Under Construction_c.1888
15. Children are Pair skating_1910
Paris in 1900 – Exposition Universelle [Rare Footage]
Paris On The Seine (1950-1955)
The Parisii, a sub-tribe of the Celtic Senones, inhabited the Paris area from around the middle of the 3rd century BC.One of the area’s major north-south trade routes crossed the Seine on the île de la Cité; this meeting place of land and water trade routes gradually became a town and an important trading centre.The Parisii traded with many river towns as far away as the Iberian Peninsula, and minted their own coins for that purpose.Gold coins minted by the Parisii (1st century BC)
15 Rare & Old Photo’s of Paris | Mega Series Part 1
15 Rare & Old Photo’s of Washington D.C.| Mega Series Part 2
15 Rare & Old Photo’s of Rome | Mega Series Part 3
15 Rare & Old Photo’s of London | Mega Series Part 3
15 Rare & Old Photo’s of Chicago | Mega Series Part 3
15 Rare & Old Photo’s of Los Angeles | Mega Series Part 2
15 Rare & Old Photo’s of Los Angeles | Mega Series Part 1
15 Rare & Old Photo’s of Las Vegas | Mega Series- Part 5
20 Rare & Old Photo’s of San Francisco | Mega Series Part 2
15 Rare & Old Photo’s of New York | Mega Series Part 1
If you like this post, Then please, share it in different social media. Help our site to spread out.
[divider scroll_text=”Back To Top”]