We have published – First Part of 15 Very Old & Rare Photos of Varanasi “The Athens of India” a couple of days back.
Today we are Presenting the 2nd Instalment of it.
Varanasi, also known as Benares or ‘Spiritual capital of India’, Banaras or Kashi is an North Indian city on the banks of the Ganga in Uttar Pradesh. It is the holiest of the seven sacred cities (Sapta Puri) in Hinduism and Jainism, and played an important role in the development of Buddhism. Some Hindus believe that death at Varanasi brings salvation. It is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world. Varanasi is also known as the favourite city of the Hindu deity Lord Shiva. It has been mentioned in the Rigveda that this city in older times was known as Kashi.
Archaeological evidence of earliest known settlements around Varanasi in the Ganga valley (the seat of Vedic religion and philosophy) suggest that they began in the 11th or 12th century BC, placing it among the world’s oldest continually inhabited cities. These archaeological remains suggest that the Varanasi area was populated by Vedic people. However, the Atharvaveda (the oldest known text referencing the city), which dates to approximately the same period, suggests that the area was populated by indigenous tribes.
It is possible that archaeological evidence of these previous inhabitants has yet to be discovered. Recent excavations at Aktha and Ramnagar, two sites very near to Varanasi, show them to be from 1800 BC, suggesting Varanasi started to be inhabited by that time too. Varanasi was also home to Parshva, the 23rd Jain Tirthankara and the earliest Tirthankara accepted as a historical figure in the 8th century BC.
Varanasi ”Spiritual capital of India” – Rare Historical Photos | Part II
1. River & Bridge of boats Benaras
2. Benares (Varanasi) Across the River Ganges – 1870’s
3. Well of Knowledge (Gyanvapi) in Benares, India
4. Benares (Varanasi, India), 1922
5. Varanasi Ghats and Architectures – c1880’s
6. Benares Durga Kund and Temple
7. Burning Ghats at Benares, India 1894 Photoghats of Banares during 1870s
50 Rare & Vintage pics of Indore | Never Seen Before Collection
20 Unseen , Old & Very Rare Photos of the Pink City Jaipur | Part I
20 Unseen , Old & Very Rare Photos of the Pink City Jaipur | Part II
8. Gosain Tample , Benares 1873
9. Meditation on Ghat during 1940s
10. People standing in front of a Nandi statue – Benares (Varanasi) 1929
11. People Taking bath in Holy River
12. Another View_ghats of Banares_1920s
13. Another View of People Taking bath in Holy River
14. State Elephant Benares
15. View of Burning Ghat The Manikarnika Chief Cremation Center Of Baneras (Varanasi) by Lala Deen Dayal
If you like this post, Then please, share it in different social media. Help our site to spread out.